Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 grendal

Title
    Premium Member

6.5 grendal

I'm looking into building another ar-15 based gun. The 6.5 grendal seems like it would be a good fit for what I'm wanting to do. Anybody have experience with them? And what do you use yours for? Pro's and con's for this caliber and loading for it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I use mine for hunting whitetail, and hogs, so far it has worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Worked well on the one whitetail I took with mine last year. Hoping to use with hand loads this year.

Title
    Premium Member
    I built a 16" carbine in 6.5 G. Primarily use it for punching paper and ringing the 500 yard gong. I load the 123 gr and get very good accuracy. I like it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Awesome. Deer would be biggest animal I'd hunt, but like others target practice on range would be my main use of the gun.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have 2 - 6.5 Grendel AR-15s that I built. One is an SBR 12" which I shoot suppressed with a SilencerCo Omega. The second is an 18". Both barrels are Faxon. Both are great guns and I've really grown to like the 6.5 Grendel cartridge. I shot 3 cases of Hornady Black to build up a stock of brass and just a few weeks ago started building up some loads for the 18" using the Hornady 123gn ELD-M bullets. So far I've used 8208, AR-Comp, VV N540, and CFE 223 for powder. It appears that the AR-Comp might be the best powder. There's a few more powders I want to try, then I'll start working with some other bullets. To date, I've just been killing paper working on getting the guns functioning (adjusting the gas), sighting the scopes and building up a brass supply.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texascavediver View Post
    I have 2 - 6.5 Grendel AR-15s that I built. One is an SBR 12" which I shoot suppressed with a SilencerCo Omega. The second is an 18". Both barrels are Faxon. Both are great guns and I've really grown to like the 6.5 Grendel cartridge. I shot 3 cases of Hornady Black to build up a stock of brass and just a few weeks ago started building up some loads for the 18" using the Hornady 123gn ELD-M bullets. So far I've used 8208, AR-Comp, VV N540, and CFE 223 for powder. It appears that the AR-Comp might be the best powder. There's a few more powders I want to try, then I'll start working with some other bullets. To date, I've just been killing paper working on getting the guns functioning (adjusting the gas), sighting the scopes and building up a brass supply.
    Sweet I'm looking to either a 18" or 20" barrel for my build. Haven't decided on barrel brand yet. You see lots of options and opinions with barrel choice.

Title
    Premium Member
    I suggest you choose a very good barrel if you want maximum accuracy. Not all barrels are created equal. 2 most important components is barrel & trigger. My opinion.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by handcannon View Post
    I suggest you choose a very good barrel if you want maximum accuracy. Not all barrels are created equal. 2 most important components is barrel & trigger. My opinion.
    Totally agree. I'm strongly considering the JP super match barrel but haven't pulled the trigger yet

Title
    Premium Member
    Is everyone using the Lee 3 die set?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk